The recent Brexit referendum was a major decision that the people of the UK made, one that will have huge repercussions with how the country deals with the rest of the EU in future. The fear mongering and propaganda that characterized the referendum did leave many confused. However, one thing should be very clear to all; even if the UK chose to exit the EU, the status and rights of EU nationals staying in the UK have not changed in any way; likewise, those of UK nationals in other EU nations haven’t changed either. In light of this solid reality, it makes much sense to apply for the European Health Insurance Card. And for those that have them already, it’s always prudent to carry your card when traveling within Europe. The good thing is that this card is easy to apply, and guarantees you of quality and prompt medical attention in case the need to arises, while within any EU country.
Reference: About the ehic Card on Wikipedia
- Once in a while, you’ll find agencies and other entities charging a fee for helping you apply for the European Health Insurance Card. However, the UK government doesn’t charge anything for these cards, and actually advises residents looking to do so to just apply for ehic online. Applying for the card online is fast, safe, and like mentioned, free.
- First, you’ll need to visit the UK government website in order to apply for your European Health Insurance Card. In the Foreign travel category, you’ll find another subcategory that enables to commence the application process online. Your full names, date of birth, address; you’ll need to enter such personal details.
- Secondly, you’ll also need to give your NHS number if you’re living in Wales of England, Health and Care number if you’re in Northern Ireland, or CHI number for those in Scotland. That’s all that is needed, you don’t need t pay for anything, or provide any more documentation.
- Once you’ve completed the application process, you’re then asked to wait for the relevant government agencies to verify all the details you’ve shared. The card may take anywhere from 48 hours to 2 weeks, before it is finally ready for you to pick. With this European health insurance card, you can travel anywhere, without having to worry about your pre existing medical condition. The same kind of care that you’d have received from NHS here in the UK is what you’ll receive in any of the EU nations or Switzerland.
- Typically, this card is valid in all EU nations under what’s collectively known as EEA, or the European Economic Area. Even Switzerland, which is not a member of the EU, accepts this health card. Thus clearly, you’ve got every reason to apply for your EHIC card today, and no reason why you shouldn’t! At a time when traveling across Europe is becoming increasingly common for most UK residents, the last thing you want is to find yourself stranded in a foreign country when a medical emergency arises!
Be smart, be prepared, apply for an EHIC today! See more about the European Health Insurance Card on Facebook
And if you are looking to renew your ehic check https://www.europeanhealthcard.org.uk/renew-ehic/ webpage and get it.